The Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments’ primary objectives are to assist local governments develop local and regional plans within a three-county region, which is located on the coast of South Carolina and has a growing population of over 750,000, as well as providing local governments with planning and technical support to improve the quality of life in the region, The BCDCOG also serves as staff for the Charleston Area Transportation Study (CHATS) Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), regional Economic Development District (EDD), provides direct support to local jurisdictions in comprehensive land use and land development planning, community and economic development (CDBG) project development, and infrastructure project implementation, as well as coordinates planning and implementation of multi-jurisdictional land use and transportation planning initiatives.
We currently recruiting up to three (3) Multimodal Transportation Planners with demonstrated experience as strong project managers and passion for innovative planning with a work ethic and motivation to strive for a positive impact on the region’s transportation system and quality of life.
Professionals chosen to fill the current vacancies will be assigned responsibilities with one or more of the following focus areas:
- Coordination with/of regional partners to implement and monitor the MPO’s congestion management process (CMP);
- Coordination of TSMO (Transportation System Management and Operations) initiatives and other new and emerging transportation technologies;
- Maintenance and monitoring of success in achieving targets for performance of the region’s multi-modal transportation network improvements and initiatives, to include safety and system reliability;
- Long-term transit system planning and development;
- Improvement of transportation system’s resiliency and environmental sustainability through carbon pollution reduction and climate action initiatives;
- Development/implementation of infrastructure improvement projects, including corridor studies;
- Travel Demand Modeling
- Coordination and/or participation in regional environmental, growth and quality of life initiatives; and
- Other related activities such as data gathering, technical analyses, mapping, and grant writing.
These positions require a mix of knowledge and abilities including strong skills in data research and technical analysis, communications, presentations, and computer programs. Working knowledge of analytical tools such as GIS and TransCAD, federal and state funding processes, a proven ability to analyze complex issues and present results in concise reports and presentations, and experience with development and managing transportation and traffic data systems are a plus. Ideal candidates are team-oriented professionals with experience working with the public as well as the private sector, strong strategic and innovative thinkers who are organized and self-motivated.
These positions may be filled at either a mid or senior planner level depending on qualifications and are open until filled. Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Engineering, Public Administration, Economics, or a related field with major emphasis in planning and a minimum of three years of professional planning experience. A Master’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Economics, or a related field may be substituted for one year of required experience. AICP certification or the ability to obtain certification within a year of hiring at a senior planner level is also preferred.
Salaries are commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefit package includes group health plan, retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, optional 401(k) and supplemental insurance benefits available.
Qualified applicants please send your resume:
BCD Council of Governments
Attention: Andrea Kozloski
5790 Casper Padgett Way
North Charleston, SC 29406
To apply for this job email your details to AndreaK@bcdcog.com