The City of Hanahan today announced a series of upcoming opportunities for citizens to weigh in on its Draft Comprehensive Plan, ‘Hanahan 2040: Pathway to the Future.’
Citizens are invited to attend an Open House event to review the plan in its current form and provide feedback from 5 to 8 PM on Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at the City Gym, located at 1253 Yeamans Hall Road. Residents can also review and comment on the draft plan online at bcdcog.com/hanahancomp between November 4 and November 30, 2022.
The plan, developed by the city’s Planning Commission in collaboration with the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments (BCDCOG), lays out a framework of shared goals for the city, which were developed through a number of public information sessions held late last year and several public Commission workshops.
The framework includes the following goals:
- Ensuring residents have access to a variety of recreational amenities, including a network of biking and walking trails, entertainment, public parks, gardens and the waterfront
- Creating a “bustling” town center that offers opportunities for social interactions and community connections
- Protecting the community’s ‘small town’ character, maintaining a high quality of life for its residents
- Preserving existing cultural and natural resources, and prioritizing redevelopment efforts and infill opportunities over development of new or natural areas
- Enhancing the quality and range of public services offered to residents
- Promoting responsible and sustainable growth management practices while encouraging housing options that are financially attainable for all households
“Meaningful community engagement is critical to any public planning process,” said Hanahan Mayor Christie Rainwater. “We’re grateful to all the citizens who have taken the time to help guide the comprehensive plan’s development so far, and we hope folks will join us for this final step as we work together to shape the future of our great city.”
The plan is set to go before the City of Hanahan Planning Commission on Tuesday, December 6, 2022, and to City Council on Tuesday, December 13, 2022 and Tuesday, January 10, 2023.
To learn more about ‘Hanahan 2040: Pathway to the Future,’ please visit bcdcog.com/hanahancomp.