The Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments’ primary objectives are to assist local governments develop local and regional plans within the tri-county region, as well as providing local governments with planning and technical support to improve the quality of life in the region, which is located on the coast of South Carolina and has a population of over 775,000. The Charleston area is known for beautiful beaches, golf courses, award winning restaurants, arts and entertainment. Because of an attractive quality of life and increased economic opportunities, the region has experienced a positive growth rate and this trend is expected to continue. The BCDCOG also serves as staff for the Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority (CARTA).
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Transit Planner with an interest in transit program delivery, planning and operational studies, and grant administration with a work ethic and motivation to strive for a positive impact on the region and local communities. Interested candidates should be confident in their ability to establish and attain goals, meet deadlines, work both independently and as part of a team, requiring adaptability and objectivity.
Responsibilities of this position include professional transit planning and overseeing the collection and analysis of data for the BCD region’s bus transit system. Additional responsibilities include:
- Assist with activities related to transit service planning and scheduling for urban fixed-route, on demand, and rural deviated transit service.
- Supports electronic service data activities including implementation of technology-based initiatives, including CAD/AVL software, APC reporting systems, trip planning applications, real-time transit signage, and have familiarly with Geographic Information Systems
- Provides administrative support and compliance of federal/state funded grant programs.
- Participates in planning of alternative modes of transit in conjunction with multi-modal aspects of the Region’s Mobility Management Program.
- Conduct Short- and Long-Range Planning: Analyze existing transit routes and ensure effective design.
- Prepare operational statistics, perform data collection, analyze data, and deliver recommendations for improvement as needed to ensure service meets the goals and objectives of the Agency.
- Reads and analyze demographic and geographic data, apply spatial data analysis skills to graphically display ridership and demographic trends, and communicate trends.
- Monitors and evaluates on-time performance data, propose schedule adjustments as needed.
- Assists with coordination of public outreach events, including set up, speaking with members of the public, working with internal staff to disseminate information to the public.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or a related field with major emphasis in Planning and two years of professional planning experience. A Master’s Degree in Planning may be substituted for one year of required experience.
Salaries are commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefit package includes group health plan, retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, optional 401(k) and supplemental insurance benefits available.
Qualified applicants please send your resume:
Fax to: (843) 529-0305
Email to: email@example.com
BCD Council of Governments
Attention: Andrea Kozloski
5790 Casper Padgett Way
North Charleston, SC 29406
To apply for this job email your details to AndreaK@bcdcog.com