Safety and Training Manager
In operation since 1996, Berkeley Charleston Dorchester Rural Transportation Management Association d/b/a TriCounty Link continues to research, plan, and implement affordable service improvements that provide access to jobs, medical facilities, schools, and shopping for our rural customers in Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties. The TriCounty Link system is comprised of 9 regular fixed routes and 4 commuter routes that provide services to rural residents of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties.
The BCD region is located on the coast of South Carolina and has a population of over 650,000. The Charleston area is known for beautiful beaches, golf courses, award winning restaurants, arts and entertainment. Because of this the region has experienced a positive growth rate and this trend is expected to continue. We have an opportunity in Moncks Corner for a Safety and Training Manager:
- Involved in recruitment and selection of new hires for safety sensitive positions:
o Confirms CDL license with passenger endorsement
o Obtains copy of MVR and physical records
o Contacts previous employer for safety performance history records request
o Completes road test with candidate
o Schedules candidate for drug screen
o Develops and conducts safety training for new hires
- Participates in and maintains records related to the Quarterly Safety Meeting. Identifies training
needs and stays abreast of new trends in the industry.
- Consults with regulatory agencies to interpret and ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Provides compliance guidance on OSHA, DOT, FTA and other regulations. Knowledge expert for
Drug & Alcohol Testing, CDL Requirements and Driver Fitness. Maintains current knowledge of
policies, guidelines and regulations from governmental agencies by attending seminars and
- Maintains all safety files on employees to include monitoring physical records, motor vehicle
records and main contact for SCDOT random drug testing.
- Maintains all agency safety plans and ensures compliance with all local, state and federal
- Conducts and maintains records on annual driver recertification process. Monitors and coaches
employees in safety sensitive positions performance and behavior; recommends training or
retraining as appropriate to ensure compliance with safety policies.
- Conducts investigations into accidents and incidents in accordance with policy and in
conjunction with involved authorities, as needed. Maintains accident files for agency.
- Provides back up as needed, to include making bus trades, completing a route and helping
wheelchair passengers on or off bus, etc.
- Performs required periodic inspection of all safety equipment to ensure compliance with
- Inspect and evaluate all transit stops, shelters and routes to ensure they meet established safety
- Prepare and submit all monthly reports in accordance with established standards.
- Performs duties as assigned by Deputy Director of Finance and Administration or Executive
Director during special events and weather emergencies to minimize service disruption.
- Knowledgeable of Operational Policies and Procedures and Employment Policies and
- Other duties as assigned by Deputy Director of Finance and Administration or Executive
- Associates degree in transportation or related field with 3 years safety experience. Bachelors
degree in transportation or related field preferred.
- Ability to prioritize, work within time constraints and meet deadlines. Strong interpersonal and
- Proficient Microsoft Office: Outlook, Excel, Word.
- General knowledge of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties.
- Valid South Carolina Commercial Drivers License.
Comprehensive benefit package includes group health plan, retirement benefits, paid vacation
and sick days, paid holidays, optional 401(k) and supplemental insurance benefits available.
Qualified applicants should send resume with salary requirements via email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to BCD Rural Transportation Management Association, Human
Resources, Attention: Star Ross, 1362 McMillan Avenue, Suite 100, North Charleston, SC 29405
or via fax to (843) 5290305